Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

WPC- Artificial


My Nana's costume jewelry.
This week's Shutterboo Challenge word was ARTIFICIAL. Ugh. This was real hard. I thought and thought about it the whole week, tried a few things out, and got nothing. I thought about fake flowers, diet drinks, artificial sweetener, etc. Well, I am a day late now and decided to go with my jewelry. Most of it is fashion jewelry. Big beads, rhinestones, fake pearls (I now have a whole set of real ones thanks to my hubby), etc. I just went through all of my jewelry the other day and cleaned out! So this morning after I put Weston down for a nap, I took a few pictures of all of my necklaces hanging from my jewelry closet organizer. I came downstairs, uploaded the pictures, edited one of them, and then was about to upload it when DUH.... why did I not think of this before?!?!? My great-grandmother's costume jewelry!

I can specifically remember going to my Nana's apartment when I was a little girl. The smells, colors... Just a few things I remember:
- The colorful sun catchers hanging from her sliding glass door (we would make them for her and she LOVED them!)
- Wheel of Fortune playing on her big box television
- Hershey Kiss wrappers on the porch railings (she would feed the squirrels these yummy treats)
-Pink. I think she had pink everything! Pink carpet, pink rugs, pink toilet...
- Snack time. Mmmm... she would make a pot full of yummy snacks. Cheese curls, pretzels, cheese and turkey slices. For some reason I remember getting a pot. It may have been only once, but it is stuck in my brain. Maybe all of her bowls were dirty at the time.
-And in her closet was a box that I loved- her jewelry box. I would run right to her bedroom, plop myself on the floor next to her closet and go through all of her sparkly, fancy jewelry.
This bracelet was my favorite of all the jewelry in her box. I love it. When my great-grandmother moved into an assistant living home, we cleaned out her apartment. That bracelet was the one thing I wanted!! I know. It’s cheapy ole' costume jewelry, but it was my Nana's.

1 comment: